Instructor Recruitment ▶ FAQs

  • Yes. You need to have graduated from university, preferably in a teaching/ESL field. We would also like our teachers to have additional teaching qualifications, such as the Cambridge CELTA. Also if you have experience in any teaching field (particularly ESL/EFL) this will be looked upon very favourably.

  • We are looking for people who are comfortable teaching a variety of ages and abilities, and especially people who enjoy teaching children. A sound understanding of the basic principles of the English language is absolutely essential. The ability to teach grammar, vocabulary and natural expressions (to adults) and the ability to teach writing, phonics and vocabulary (to children) is also needed.

    We also expect our teachers to be able to work as part of a team, exchanging ideas, helping other teachers and assisting the Japanese members of staff when needed. Having an open, friendly disposition is also a requirement for this position.

  • Each contract is one year and is renewable, if both parties are agreeable, on a yearly basis.

  • It depends what you do and where you do it. If you live in a big city like Tokyo or Osaka and go out every week, then Japan can get expensive quickly. Living in Gifu or Ichinomiya isn’t as expensive as these are relatively small cities where the cost of eating out, going out, shopping etc is not so great.

  • For your work life it won’t be a problem as you will be working in a primarily English environment. However, we would encourage you to learn some Japanese, if only to make your life outside work a bit more comfortable.